Sunday, November 2, 2008

Using Blogs in the Classroom

I have been really impressed how technology is being integrated in the classroom through blogs and other online tools to journal and reflect. With this tool, however, comes the opportunity for students to abuse it. As the article, "Don't Feed the Trolls" (2008) says, "spreading gossip, and innuendo, leaving mean-spirited, ugly comments in social networking sites, or posting inflammatory information about a school or teacher-contribute to the general sense that incivility is just part of the culture on the Web." (p. 13) I agree with the article and believe that we need to be talking with kids about civil discourse. This article was proof that teachers play an important role in modeling appropriate communication online and off. I think that integrating this theme in everyday classroom activities is fundamental. It is imperative that we work with our students to become civil decision makers and problem solvers of the future.

I really enjoyed checking out Mr. Harbeck's Math Class Blog. I though it was great how he included video to teach concepts on the smart board. It is also a great way to remind students of homework assignments and keep everyone organized. I would have loved to have that when I was in my eighth grade math class!

If I have the resources, I would love to integrate blogs into my curriculum. Students could write reflections on readings or classroom activities. I could keep a blog to keep students and their parents up to date on homework and special projects. I could also share useful websites, podcasts, games and videos to make their learning more interactive.

No comments: